I love cake. Who doesn’t love cake? The only problem with cake is that it’s high in gluten, and it’s also very INsane. That being said, I thought that I would share a recipe, because I haven’t shared a recipe in a while.
So I’ve had Flourless Orange cake before and loved it, but a few weeks ago a good friend/neighbour of mine told me about a flourless mandarin cake recipe she had. I asked her if I could have a copy of the recipe and she happily gave it to me. Not long after that I made it, and wow, what a cake, it’s AWESOME!
- 3 small mandarins (approx 230g | 1/2 lb)
- 220g | 2 1/4 cups almond flour *
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of xylitol **
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- With the skin left on, cut the mandarins in half and remove pips.
- Place them in a saucepan of cold water.
- Bring the saucepan with the mandarins to the boil.
- Once water is boiling, boil the mandarins for 15mins.
- Turn the heat off, and leave the mandarins in the saucepan for another 15-20mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 180c | 350f
- Grease or line with baking paper a loaf tin
- The mandarins will now be cool enough to remove from the saucepan.
- Carefully place in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together until all combined. It should have a silky consistency.
- Pour the batter into the tin, and bake for approx 50mins.
*Almond Flour and Almond Meal are NOT the same. Please go here or here or here to learn more. You can use almond meal in this recipe, but the texture may not be the same.
** If you don’t have xylitol you can use caster sugar. Caster Sugar however will not make it SANE or Paleo, the cake will still be however Gluten Free