Who doesn’t love a chocolate cake?
Cake is always a winner in our house.
In 2004 there was this recipe for a chocolate cake in The Age Sunday Life magazine.
I still have the recipe, and I still make it often.
My version has a very berry twist, which makes it like a black forest cake.
Berry Easy Chocolate Cake
Recipe Type: Cake
Author: Matilda Iglesias & Peter Bennett
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 1/3 cups (200g) self-raising flour
- 5 tbsp (25g) cocoa powder
- 125g brown sugar
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 200g frozen cherries or any frozen berries of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 170°
- Brush a 20cm round cake pan with butter, and line the base with baking paper
- In a small bowl soak the frozen cherries (or berries) in the boiling water, allowing them to defrost. (2-3 mins)
- When the cherries have defrosted, transfer the liquid to a bowl that you use to hold all your other ingredients.
- Add the other ingredients to the liquid and beat for 2-4 minutes, or until smooth
- Gently fold in the cherries
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon or a spatula
- Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Stand cake in pan for 5 mins before turning onto a wire rack to cool