Who doesn’t like Taco’s?
What about soup, everyone loves soup.
So why not combined the two?
All the goodness of a Taco but in a soup format.
I know it sounds totally weird, but let me tell you, this soup will totally rock your socks!
The original recipe was from What I Gather, which is now no longer available.
Recipe Type: Slow Cooker
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 4-5 hours on high, 6-8 on low
Total time: 5 hours
- 1 lb / 500g ground mince (beef, pork, chicken, turkey or whatever tickles your fancy)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder (more if you like it hotter)
- ¼ tsp each of the following: garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes (opt), and dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- dash of salt and pepper
- 2 -3 cups broth
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- ½ avocado diced
- Place all ingredients but the lettuce and avocado into your slow cooker bowl.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with shredded lettuce and avocado.
Mix it up!
- The original recipes have green chilies but I’ve omitted them because I can’t get those chilies here, and my kids aren’t into ‘hot’. But feel free to add them if you like stuff spicy.
- You can also use a tin of tomatoes if you don’t have any fresh tomatoes on hand.
- Try capsicum salsa for something different.
- Don’t want to do your own taco mix? Be lazy and go store-bought, but I totally recommend making your own taco seasoning. Fewer nasties and it tastes better.