On a normal workday, I would go home for lunch. Usually, I would have leftovers or make something up with whatever is in the fridge.
On this particular day, I was having a workday from hell. That meant I had to grab something and go.
I had been staring at this Sunfresh salad and thought yep, I will have that.
That’s how this recipe was inspired because I thought to myself, this is something I could make at home. Not only is it quick and simple, but it also is deliciously tasty.
Mexican Quinoa Chicken Salad
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup black beans
- 1/3 cup corn
- 125g cooked shredded chicken
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce leaves
- 1 tbs chipotle sauce
- 1 tbs mayonnaise
- sea salt to taste
- In a bowl, mix the cooked quinoa, black beans & corn until combined
- Add the shredded chicken & shredded lettuce leaves. Stir until all combined
- Mix the chip chipotle sauce and mayonnaise together then add to your salad bowl
- Top with sliced egg
- Season with sea salt
If you don’t have cooked chicken, try the Moira Mac Double Breast Roasted Chicken, which any good deli (in Victoria, Australia) will stock.
I used iceberg lettuce, but it would also be delicious with spinach, kale or rocket.
Can’t handle quinoa, try it with brown rice instead.