There is nothing like a good homemade chicken stock. It’s so versatile, and loads more healthy for you than that store bought rubbish (whether in a carton or powdered form).
The other bonus thing about making your own stock is you know EXACTLY what is going into your stock. So no maize or flavour enhancer 621, or any other junk that is really not good for you. It’s completely clean, healthy and totally Paleo / Sane. Win Win.
I will admit I’ve only just recently gotten back into making my own stock. The only problem with making your own stock is storage. Stock is an item that you can use all the time, but 4 litres, yeah that can be a bit of a problem.
That is where these beauties come in.
I discovered Sinchies (previously known as squeezems), at the start of the year thanks to a friend. I’m like what are squeezems/sinchies? I went to their website and I was seriously impressed. I thought what a great idea, I shall buy some for the kids.
The kids totally love yogurt, and they are always asking for those (store-bought) yogurt squirts which I refuse to buy cause they are a rip-off, and really high in sugar and well I rather make my own yogurt. This product solved that problem. It also solved the ‘spoon’ problem in the lunch box, as well those spoons 50% of the time were not boomerangs.
If you have a slow cooker I totally recommend making your chicken stock in that. Trust me, you just put everything in and walk away. Best do it overnight (no your house will NOT burn down), that way you won’t check on it every 5 minutes. Kind of like the “out of mind out of sight”. Plus the longer you leave it in the slow cooker the better. So yes I’m talking 12 hours plus.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stock Recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 hours
Total time: 10 hours 10 mins
Serves: 4 Litres
- 500g / 1lb of chicken necks/feet/wings
- 2-3 stalks of celery including their leaves (washed), chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic crushed/sliced or leave whole
- Herbs of your choice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4-5L of water
- Turn your slower cooker on 1/low
- Place all ingredients into your slow cooker
- Fill with enough warm-hot water so it’s within a few centimetres from the top.
- Leave on 1/low for a minimum of 10 hours, longer is better. You may need to top up the water at around 5-6 hours.
- Once cooked, allow the stock to cool.
- Drain the stock to keep or discard the solidified fat
Store in 500ml & 1L Sinchies in the fridge/freezer.
The stock will last for approximately 1 week in the fridge or 4 months in the freezer.