We all know that a high five is a gesture of congratulations.
If I’m in a race, and a kid puts out their hand in the finishes shute, you betcha that I’m going to embrace that high five.
It’s an energy boost. It makes me happy, and it brings joy to that kid.
But have you ever tried giving yourself a high five in the mirror?
Mel Robbins, explains it beautifully in The High Five Habit
Sure giving yourself a high five in the mirror every day may seem like a dumb or stupid thing to do. There is however a lot of power behind it. The act of high-fiving yourself can boost your mood, your confidence, and your motivation.
Benefits of the High Five
- It releases dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in reward, motivation, and learning. When you give yourself a high five, you’re releasing dopamine into your brain, which can make you feel happier and more motivated.
- It boosts your confidence. When you look yourself in the mirror and give yourself a high five, you’re sending a message to your brain that you’re worthy of celebration and respect. This can help to boost your confidence and self-esteem.
- It improves your mood. Giving yourself a high five is a positive and affirming act. It can help to improve your mood and make you feel more optimistic about the day ahead.
- It increases your motivation. When you’re feeling motivated, you’re more likely to take action and achieve your goals. Giving yourself a high five can help to increase your motivation and get you moving in the right direction.
If you’re not already doing it, I encourage you to start giving yourself a high five in the mirror every day. It’s a simple but effective way to improve your mood, confidence, and motivation.
How to High Five
- Stand in front of a mirror and make eye contact with yourself.
- Raise your hand and give yourself a high five, saying something like, “Way to go, you!” or “You’re awesome!”
- Smile and give yourself a thumbs up.
You can do this in the morning, before bed, or whenever you need a boost. The more often you do it, the more benefits you’ll experience.
So go ahead and give yourself a high five right now! You deserve it!