If you want to get faster, then yes is important to train your legs to get faster. You do this by running further, or by intervals.
The other way to get faster and stronger is by hitting the gym.
Every runner should be doing some form of weight training 2-3 times a week.
What weight training you do is subject to your goals.
Every runner should be hitting the weights at least 2-3 times a week.
Weight training will help to not only prevent injuries, but will also improve your running performance, build muscle, and improve your overall health.
Here is a 20-minute weight training workout for runners that uses dumbbells.
Or your favourite warm-up routine. Fitness Blender or Blogilates have a variety of warm-up routines, so find one that you like.
- Dumbbell squats: 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions
- Dumbbell lunges: 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions (per leg)
- Dumbbell bench press: 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions
- Dumbbell rows: 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions (per arm)
- Dumbbell shoulder press: 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions
- Dumbbell bicep curls: 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions
- Dumbbell tricep extensions: 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions
Or your favourite post-workout routine
- Use weights that are challenging but not too heavy. You should be able to complete all of the repetitions with good form.
- Rest for 30-60 seconds between sets. The heavier the weight, the longer the rest.
- Focus on form over weight. It is more important to do the exercises correctly than to lift heavy weights.
- Listen to your body and take rest days when you need them.
This workout can be modified to fit your fitness level and goals. If you are a beginner, you can start with fewer repetitions and sets. As you get stronger, you can increase the weight and/or the number of repetitions and sets. You can also add more exercises to the workout.
It is important to warm up before starting any workout and to cool down afterwards. This will help to prevent injuries. Stretching after your workout can help to improve your flexibility and range of motion.
If you are new to weight training, it is a good idea to talk to a personal trainer or fitness instructor. They can help you to create a safe and effective workout plan.