Not long after making my Slow Cooker Dahl, I accidentally broke the lid of my slower cooker rendering it useless.
The original recipe also served 10-12 people. That’s a lot of servings or a lot of leftovers.
This is why I modified the recipe for a crockpot in the oven.
This oven variation serves 6-8 people and is ideal for a family of 4-5.
Dinners in the Oven Dahl
- 2 tb olive oil
- ⅓ cup dried red lentils
- ⅓ cup dried yellow lentils
- ⅓ cup dried split green peas
- ⅓ cup mung dahl
- 1L stock
- Keep ¼ to ½ cup aside
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onions, diced
- 1 x 800g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin coconut cream
- Preheat your oven to 120°c (no higher than 150°c)
- Coat an ovenproof dish with 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Over medium heat, saute your onions until soften
- Add your mustard seeds and other spices. Stir.
- Add the garlic and ginger and some stock.
- Place your lentils and peas in the ovenproof dish with the rest of the stock
- Add the tin of tomato paste & coconut cream. Stir until combined.
- Cover with the lid and cook in the oven for a minimum of 6 hours.
- Take the lid off 30 minutes prior to serving to help thicken.
Serve with rice and roasted veggies.